This is a key role of Medicare’s (CMS) Practice Transformation Network (PTN) grant. The Healthcare Transformation Coach is a trained individual who facilitates analytic support services and technical expertise to practices and clinicians to make meaningful changes, improve patient outcomes, and reduce costs.
This individual serves as the provider-facing resource for clinicians who participate in PTN and provides direct assistance with practice transformation efforts, which include moving a practice through a five-phase transformation process that culminates in readiness to participate in value-based payment models or programs.
The Healthcare Transformation Coach works hand-on in the providers’ offices and involves guiding providers and their staff on redesign of work practices, care coordination, optimal use of EHRs and meeting the standards for Meaningful Use and PQRS reporting. This work includes conducting practice assessments, meeting regularly with participating providers, supporting implementation of action plans, educating physicians and staff, and driving improvement.
Person Reports to
- Supports practice with data tracking, reporting, analysis and workflow redesign incorporating improvement techniques to improve efficiency and effectiveness to reduce waste.
- Supports and facilitates practitioners at each phase of improvement (i.e., setting goals, thought partnering and recommending strategies or innovations, and execution) by providing tools, trainings, guiding them through rapid-cycle tests of change, and assisting when obstacles arise.
- Provides direct technical support with health information technology (HIT) implementation and development of registries including identifying high risk patients.
- Articulates operations of the program and any applicable regulations related to the Alternate Payment models.
- Works collaboratively with area Quality Improvement Organization (QIO), the program leadership, Quality Improvement Advisors, and other members of the PTN team to suggest best practices for processes.
- Provides consistent communication, education and support to assigned clinicians both remotely and face to face and documents transformation activities.
- Instructs clinicians on all aspects of TCPI program. Facilitates networking in the provider community and encourages participants to take part in TCPI/PTN events.
- Assists and educates physicians and staff in the adoption of Electronic Medical Records.
- Analyzes provider needs and prioritizes work, including identification of leads for Meaningful Use, PQRS, PCMH, ACO and other quality initiatives as outlined by NJII’s senior management.
- Acts as ambassador for NJII and assists in recruiting providers to join.
- Educates when appropriate on the other available NJII products/services.
- Contributes content to the marketing and communication staff to gather stories, use cases, and case studies to publicize the successes of the program.
- Communicates and champions the vision for change through activities such as presenting and sharing best practices.
- Prioritizes and executes tasks in a high-pressure, ever-changing environment.
- Schedules practice assessments and meaningful use training of providers and practice managers as needed.
- Education/Degree Required
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, computer science, nursing, or other related field preferred. Relevant clinical or healthcare experience substitutes for the above education preference.
- Years of Experience Required
Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a healthcare setting, quality improvement, IT/business systems, or practice management space.
- Knowledge/Skills Required
- Knowledge of Medicare quality initiatives such as MU, PQRS, PCMH, ACO, MACRA, and MIPS.
- Experience with reviewing various quality reports in or outside of an electronic medical record (EHR).
- General knowledge about the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, overall strategies on improving US healthcare and policies on reimbursement.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills required.
- Organizational skills including time, project, and resource management.
- Strong technical skills including proficiency with Microsoft-based programs, especially EXCEL and WORD.
- Multi-tasking, innovative, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills with initiative to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Travel to providers is required therefore, transportation will be needed.
- Experience with the Chronic Care Model, the Patient Centered Medical Home model, other general quality improvement methods, and/or the roles of a nurse care manager strongly preferred.
- Experience with client/account management and change and/or project management experience preferred.